Friday, July 13, 2007

The Battle is the Lord's! (much needed encouragement from a friend)

When troubles threaten to overwhelm you, you may feel as though you don’t have the strength to withstand them. I know what that feels like, and the Bible tells us that King Jehoshaphat also knew that feeling. In II Chronicles 20, he was faced with three different armies that were coming to destroy his kingdom. Hopelessly outnumbered, it looked as though there was no chance of survival.

So what did he do? The Bible says, Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the Lord (v. 3).

Sometimes in overwhelming situations when I don’t know what to do, I have to ask, Have I set myself to seek the Lord? When I "set myself," that means I quit running around, I stand still, and I look to God. I can’t stand still when I’m in fear-I can stand still only when I’m in faith.

Notice what the prophet said to Jehoshaphat after he and the people sought God: "Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God’s.... You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord" (vv. 15,17 nkjv).

The battle you’re going through isn’t your battle-it’s the Lord’s! He said He would fight for you! Your part is to seek Him and position yourself by standing on His Word in faith. Then He can work a miracle for you!

No comments: