Sunday, October 07, 2007

Thank yous , the worst week ever and a small world...





We got back from Arizona late Saturday night. I would like to thank everyone (most of whom we need to thank will never read this so we will be sending out letters in the next few days) for all your love, support and help. This week was way more stressful than I could have ever imagined but having an awesome support network of friends and family around the country praying for us was a big help. People did everything from helping us financially, giving us rides, watching Tayler and Cookie and having us over for dinner. Even the people at American Airlines put us on the same flight as my sister on the way back and the clerk at the hotel gave us a great view from our room. We got home and received several cards and emails of encouragement and condolences.

The worst week ever is pretty obvious. We got off the plane and spent the entire day Tuesday on the planning of my mom's memorial service. We also began going through some of her things for us to take home. There was so much to get done and we basically did (and paid) for all of it. One thing that I learned this week is that funerals can bring out the best and worst in people. My siblings and I were treated as second class family members for most of the week and it was a challenge to truly grieve the loss of our mother. But, it was good to be with my family through this time. We spent most of the last few days after the service just hanging out- my brother and I hunting Star Wars characters. We had one last meal together and said our goodbyes. The last few days felt completely different from the first few in that we all had such a weight lifted off of us. I am proud of my brother for his leadership and hard work this week. He stepped up to his role and kept peace as best as possible. He was a great leader and made sure that mom was honored to the best of his ability.

Now for the small world. I never knew what my mom did for a career. Admittedly we have not been very close but I have never known what she has done jobwise. Well,when I resigned from the church in May I began looking for a part-time job shortly after that. I have not told to many people where I work for a couple of reasons. One is that it is so far out of anything that I have done I did not know if I would be there very long. Two, I almost have my Masters and feel the job is beneath me. However, I have bills to pay and so I accepted the job. I am working with A.R.S. Indiana. I am an appointment generator in the Home Depot's. Now, I have done very well with this and have exceeded sales goals by 300 and 400% each month.

Last Tuesday I was riding around with my sister and she asked if I was working at Home Depot. I told her what I did and she said "No way! That's who mom worked for!" Not only that but my sister also worked for them for a short time. My head hurt! I called my boss the next day and he said he had the email about my mom's death on his desk. He said there would be people from corporate at her service. I just could not believe that I had been working at the same company my mom had and that she was so beloved by the company. There were so many people and flowers from ARS at her service. So, while it is not my dream job I definitely have more pride in what I do knowing it is a bond I share with my mom for now.

No comments: